Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Smoothies ~ too busy to prepare a healthy meal, try one of these!

I  wish that I had nothing but time to prepare homemade, clean, perfectly balanced meals for everyone in our house all of the time...but the honest truth is that there just isn't the time.  I have a full-time job and I teach at 3 different locations, so I have to find healthy shortcuts that still pack a nutritional punch while keeping it quick and easy.


Here are two smoothie recipes that we use in our house (kids aren't on them quite yet as the green color scares them.  I make them the night before, then freeze them and drink them midday.  You get 3 servings of vegetables and 3 servings of fruit plus an extra boost! 

Current Favorite Smoothie Recipes:
½ cup frozen blueberries
2 cups spinach
1 cup kale
1/3 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 banana
1 tsp Macaforce Maca Powder
1 tsp chia seeds
1 tsp flax seeds
Small handful of goji berries & coconut chips
12 oz water
12 oz coconut milk
4 ice cubes

OR (Mark’s favorite):
4 oz water
10 oz coconut milk
1/3 cup of each: strawberries, mango, pineapple, peaches
2 cups spinach
1 cup kale
1/2  banana
1 tsp coconut butter
1 tsp coconut flakes
4 ice cubes