Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Finding inner motivation & drive...sometimes it's hard


It is the New Year, a time where folks are feeling energized and excited and ready to tackle their New Year's Resolutions, I am...well, for lack of a better word, bored.  I need a new challenge and I don't mean teaching challenge, I mean something that is just about me and my own goals.  Something that is going to force me to step it up a notch.  I need something that is a swift kick in the butt and is going to make me work until I feel as though I have given 150%.  I am going where so many have gone before ~ heading on over to our local Crossfit.  Sure, I won't ever train members where I teach to do Crossfit, but that doesn't mean that I can't embrace it.  That doesn't mean that I shouldn't push myself to be stronger, fitter, leaner...maybe a little meaner (in the good sort of way) - why not, I am already working on the eating cleaner.

I don't ever want to get too comfortable with life.  I don't want to lose my passion and excitement for what I love most - fitness/nutrition.  I want to continue to challenge myself to excel and become a better me in every way. 

Stop and think about your motivations, your goals and your purpose.  When you have one of these every time you set foot into a gym or start your workouts, say it to yourself and you will have a more effective workout.  It doesn't have to be grand, one more push-up a week or perfecting my squat or even staying for the stretch portion to increase flexibility.  Don't worry if you don't have the best day - tomorrow is another day!

Make small changes every single day.  If you are new to exercise, start with 15 minutes a day and add another 5 minutes each day.  Keep it simple.  Follow some of my workouts.  Clean up your diet a little bit each week.  If you set small, attainable goals, you have a greater chance of success.  If you drink diet soda, swap it for water infused with lemon or lime.  Soda, diet or not, has sweeteners which spike insulin levels and cause you to gain weight/store fat.  Look in your kitchen and count how many food items you come from a box, can, jar or package.  Can you possibly swap some of those out (just to start) with food from their natural sources? 

Have questions, there is now a Community Questions Box on my blog.  Feel free to use it often.

Remember, even trainers/fitness instructors fall down, have bad days, cheat, lack motivation, get bored, get too busy...but we approach each new day as an opportunity to start over again and be better.

~ Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I will do my best to respond to comments as soon as possible. Please also feel free to email me @ basefitmarin@yahoo.com.